Monday

Bare foot running with Vibrams



The Vibrams I purchased
Bare foot running with Vibrams. So, after some persuasion from my friends and co workers I have invested into some Vibrams (Pictured left). When I first plucked them out of the box they look like the most uncomfortable pair of footwear I have ever looked at. However when I managed to slip my feet and toes into the individual toe compartments I was pleasantly surprised. My first few steps outside were interesting feeling the small contours in the tarmac and the firmness of the floor was strange to begin with. After a few steps my feet adapted to the change and it felt like my feet for the first time in their 27 year history, were actually being worked and it felt good. Also the design of vibrams allow the shoe to snug the foot giving them a comfy feeling that you don't get with ordinary trainers.


The Bare foot runner

Diagram of how bare foot running benefits the foot.
So now what is the fuss about Vibrams and what do they offer that you don't get with regular running trainers. Their main and most obvious difference is the sole of the shoe, unlike normal running trainers the sole is completely flat with no padding, just  the rubber part of the sole. To some people, including myself at first, the idea of no padding in the sole sounds uncomfortable and some what dangerous. The makers of Vibram believe that the padding in trainers is what causes the feet to get injured as the feet become weak from constant protection from the padding, along with the unnatural heavy landing heel strike that we do whilst running with padded soles. The lack of padding allow runners to land softer on the heel and roll through to the ball of the foot, allowing your toes to do the thing there are designed to do and push your foot off the floor. The separate toe compartments of the Vibram also helps with the toes being involved in the push forward phase of the run.

Things to watch out for.

The bads news is that you do have to go back to the start when running or even walking for that matter. As your feet are not use to the force of the floor from the lack of padding the foot needs time to adapt in strength. For the first two days I have been just walking with the Vibrams and then gave myself a day with out them and now I plan to do a run alternating with a five minute walk. The best approach as like with any training is to listen to your body, if you begin to get pains then lay off the running and allow time for the feet to get use to the change. So far I am really feeling the benefits, my feet already feel stronger and more stable. Will keep you updated on how I get on in the future with  the new change in foot wear.




No comments:

Post a Comment